THE SEDALIA SYMPHONY SOCIETY
THE HAROLD J. JOHNSTON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
APPLICATION DUE MARCH 31, 2018
The Symphony Society is proud to announce two scholarships of $1000 each to be awarded to outstanding high school instrumentalists in the Sedalia area. Please note: This is a string, woodwind, or brass scholarship.
Winners of the audition will perform their solos at the April 16, 2018, concert and attend the reception following. We encourage any student who is eligible to audition for a scholarship.
TO BE ELIGIBLE:
- You must have a three point grade average on a scale of four (B average) or its equivalent.
- You must be presently enrolled in, or performing in, a large performing group, orchestra or school band.
- You must be recommended by your large ensemble director.
- You must be graduating in 2018
- You must send a statement of character and verification of grade point average from a counselor or principal at your present school.
- You must live within a 30 mile radius of Sedalia.
AUDITION: April 3, 2018, 5:30 p.m. – First Christian Church, 200 South Limit, Sedalia. (N. entrance)
- You must prepare and perform an appropriate solo. Contest piece is acceptable. Please bring an original copy of your music for use by the judges.
- You must furnish your own accompanist.
- The audition committee reserves the right to withhold the scholarship if they believe none of the applicants are of sufficient proficiency.
TO RECEIVE THE SCHOLARSHIP AWARD:
- You must furnish to the Sedalia Symphony Society documentation from the college or university of your choice stating that you are officially accepted and enrolled in a large ensemble.
- A check in the amount of $500 per semester will be made out to you to be spent for your education.
- You must participate in a college or university orchestra or band each semester.
Click here to download Application… (Note: The application will open in a new tab or window) Should more than one applicant from the same school wish to apply they are welcome to do so. The application may be photocopied.
Be sure to join us on April 16, 2018 for our remaining 83rd season performance featuring:
Photos compliments Kevin Walker Photography
The Symphony rehearses on Mondays from 7:00 to 9:00 pm, beginning in September through Mid-April. If you are interested in joining the Symphony, contact Gwen at 660-473-6451.